60% of organisations fail to bridge the gap between strategy and implementation. Having a strategy is important, but living and breathing it is another thing entirely.
With 10 years experience in communications and marketing, I’m all about simple strategies, realistic plans and the skills and determination to get things done.
Scroll down to find out more, or get in touch now
I do all of this...
Digital-first and content marketing strategies
Audience research and insights
Campaign and events planning and management
Data, email, customer journey design and marketing automation
Digital content optimisation, web analytics, social, SEO & PPC
Engaging copywriting, editing and creative content
Campaign ideas and development
Creative applications of marketing technology
Branding and visual design, print and web (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
Delivering training in content creation, CMS, marketing tools and social media
...with a solid foundation
5 A Levels
History (A) Physics (A) French (B) Mathematics (C) AS Level Photography (A)
BA Honours (First class)
Degree in Politics, Nottingham University and year abroad at Universität Konstanz, Germany
Postgraduate degree in International PR and Global Communications Management, Cardiff
Member of Chartered Institute of PR (CIPR)
...and 10 years of experience
Freelance comms and marketing (Oct 2014 - Present)
As director of my own business, Koeko, I work with clients across a number of industries including technology, education, food and events, providing strategic guidance, project management and hands-on support.
- Creating, planning and managing targeted multi-channel communications strategies and projects.
- Hands-on print and web content creation, email marketing, CRM, analytics, team management etc.
- Managing teams, helping to up-skill workforce, creating efficient workflows and reporting processes.
- Managing (from proposal to evaluation) a number of digital branding projects.
- Acting “Marketing Manager” for a tech PR agency
- Cohesive Communications – Website launch, marketing strategy and implementation for a tech PR agency.
- Digital 2015 & Digital Tuesday (via Cohesive Communications) – Management of digital marketing activities for a large tech conference and monthly events in South Wales, including the development of an event app and website, plus targeted email marketing.
- Maintel (via Cohesive Communications) – Marketing automation set up, managing the integration of CRM and marketing automation tool including training of sales and marketing staff. Ongoing integrated email and content campaign design.
- Chase Hampers – Seasonal campaign for local food business.
- Mind Cymru – Brand campaign concept and planning, selection and briefing of video agency.
- Mind Cymru – Case study collection for national WG-funded mental health projects, copywriting and layout of printed and web marketing collateral, communications plan.
- Angel School of Dance – New website design, copywriting and build, social media set up, marketing integration.
- Angel School of Dance – Copywriting and design of printed collateral including calendar, flyers, posters etc.
“Lucy’s marketing knowledge and expertise has allowed us to increase our pupil numbers, promote ourselves in a more professional way, which in turn has increased our profitability.
Her ability to take what we (thought) we needed and turn it into exactly what we needed proved to be invaluable. Lucy is a very patient and positive person. Whenever she feels we are not on the right path she is able to steer us back with helpful suggestions.
With an extremely creative approach to her work, Lucy can turn her ideas into great imagery and engaging content. She has an eye for detail and can quickly identify problems and present solutions.
Lucy is always up for a challenge and she does what every client needs, reducing stress levels and replacing with confidence and positivity adding value to our team.”
Engagement Manager | National campaign (July - Dec 2016)
Working with a team at Mind Cymru and two other mental health charities to promote the Time to Change Wales campaign.
- Building and managing relationships with organisations across Wales.
- Recruiting organisations to join the campaign and attend events.
- Promoting mental health and wellbeing in the workplace through email, digital and events.
- Revamping web content and user journeys for organisations.
- Representing the campaign at events and visits across Wales.
- Revamping the annual event for pledged organisations.
Senior Comms Officer | Large national charity (Mar-May 2016)
Working together with Mind teams in both Cardiff and London to increase Mind Cymru’s profile in Wales:
- Developing and implementing targeted communications to engage directly with the general public, politicians and other key stakeholders.
- Providing communications advice and support to senior management.
- Ensuring the success of Mind Cymru’s mental health awareness campaign during the 2016 Assembly Elections.
Communications Officer | Education sector (Nov 2013 - Dec 2014)
Working on a project basis with a number of different departments to provide strategic guidance and support for internal and external stakeholder engagement projects at Cardiff University.
- Planning and managing campaigns to support strategic goals.
- Managing a number of digital content projects including new website launches and campaigns.
- Building and maintaining stakeholder relationships in order to gain support for campaigns.
- Re-launch of the School of Modern Languages and School of Politics websites – structure, copywriting and content management.
- Launch of Languages for All, a strategic level project.
- New MA course launch in the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies.
Content Editor | Retail industry (Mar 2011 - Nov 2013)
Responsible for all content and digital campaigns for a national multi-channel outdoor retailer, Cotswold Outdoor.
- Working closely with brands, companies and organisations in the outdoor industry across the UK.
- Online PR strategy including developing relationships with key stakeholders, media and influencers.
- Managing multichannel marketing campaigns including digital and social media.
- Overseeing a small team as well as freelance designers and copywriters.
- Seasonal multichannel marketing campaigns.
- Long term strategic content plan and social media strategy, development and management.
- Numerous microsites, landing pages, interactive digital campaigns.
- Development of tone of voice and brand guidelines.
- 2-year internationalisation strategy.
“Lucy has proved to be a highly intelligent and motivated person. She has very high personal standards and quickly established herself, gaining respect from work colleagues for the quality of her work. Through taking a methodical approach to her work, Lucy managed to work within time sensitive deadlines to ensure company campaigns were delivered on time. I would have no hesitation in recommending Lucy.”
Assistant Editor | B2B tech media (Mar 2009 - Jan 2011)
- Managing writers and freelancers and adhering to complex deadlines.
- Liaising with stakeholders, clients, printers and high-level industry experts on a regular basis.
- Attending, presenting and reporting international conferences, networking and contact building.
- Copywriting, online publishing, digital marketing, PR and event organisation
- Development and launch of new sustainable transportation publication.
- Framework Programme 7 European funded public engagement campaign on intelligent vehicles.
- Planning and promotion of global industry think-tanks.
“Initially Lucy’s role was a combination of magazine layout, news reporting and article writing, but over time her web skills proved a valuable asset to the company.
“Lucy was a very conscientious worker and in addition to her skills within the office she was also a valuable team member at events in the UK, Europe and the US. She was never less than fully motivated and brought a young and dynamic approach to the company. We were sorry to lose her.”
Marketing Assistant | Education/travel (2008)
Fresh out of university, I took on a marketing role in an international education/travel consultancy based in Stuttgart.
“Lucy is a really great person to work with. Her skills and her ability to understand complex work topics very quickly were an excellent basis to built up a successful work-relationship. She managed own projects, supported the workflow in the office and had fantastic fresh ideas for our marketing. If I will have the chance to work with her again, I certainly will.”
Examples of my work
...but that's enough from me.
"With an extremely creative approach to her work, Lucy can turn her ideas into great imagery and engaging content. She has an eye for detail and can quickly identify problems and present solutions. Lucy is always up for a challenge and she does what every client needs, reducing stress levels and replacing with confidence and positivity adding value to our team.”Pat Cannon
"Lucy has proved to be a highly intelligent and motivated person. She has very high personal standards and quickly established herself, gaining respect from work colleagues for the quality of her work. Through taking a methodical approach to her work, Lucy managed to work within time sensitive deadlines to ensure company campaigns were delivered on time. I would have no hesitation in recommending Lucy.”Alex Palmer
"Lucy is a really great person to work with. Her skills and her ability to understand complex work topics very quickly were an excellent basis to built up a successful work-relationship. She managed own projects, supported the workflow in the office and had fantastic fresh ideas for our marketing. If I will have the chance to work with her again, I certainly will.”Torben Brinkerma
...unless you wanted to know any of this stuff >
I spent 6 months in a tent
Ich spreche Deutsch
I'm an accountant
Well technically, I’m not. But I do my own company accounts, so in my books (no pun intended) that makes me an accountant.
I'm one in 10,000
I have a rare autoimmune condition called Addison’s Disease. Most people’s adrenal glands produce two essential hormones: cortisol and aldosterone. Mine don’t, but luckily there’s medication available to replace both of these.
I ski (very badly)
For me, it’s not about the speed and the adrenaline. Skiing is just about being in the mountains, above the clouds, enjoying the crisp winter air. And plenty of schnapps to keep me warm.
Get in touch!
If you want to find out more, please drop me a message below and I’ll reply as soon as possible.
And even if it turns out I’m not the right person for your job, I might be able to recommend someone who is!
I have 10 years experience in communications and marketing with a focus on creative digital campaigns and content strategy. I've worked in both B2C and B2B environments, domestic and international. Based in Chepstow, South Wales.