"A strategic doer"
60% of organisations fail to bridge the gap between strategy and implementation. Having a strategy is important, but living and breathing it is another thing entirely.
With 13 years experience in communications and marketing, I’m all about simple strategies, realistic plans and the skills and determination to get things done.
Scroll down to find out more, or get in touch now
I do all of this...
Audience research and insights
Campaign and events planning and management
Data, email, customer journey design and marketing automation
Digital content optimisation, web analytics, social, SEO & PPC
Campaign ideas and development
Creative applications of marketing technology
Branding and visual design, print and web (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
Delivering training in content creation, CMS, marketing tools and social media
...with a solid foundation
5 A Levels
History (A) Physics (A) French (B) Mathematics (C) AS Level Photography (A)
BA Honours (First class)
Degree in Politics, Nottingham University and year abroad at Universität Konstanz, Germany
Member of Chartered Institute of PR (CIPR)
...and 13 years of experience
Freelance communications and marketing (Oct 2014 - Present)
As director of my own business, Koeko, I work with clients across a number of industries including technology, education, food and events, providing strategic guidance, project management and hands-on support.
- Creating, planning and managing targeted multi-channel communications strategies and projects.
- Hands-on print and web content creation, email marketing, CRM, analytics, team management etc.
- Managing teams, helping to up-skill workforce, creating efficient workflows and reporting processes.
- Managing (from proposal to evaluation) a number of digital branding projects.
- Acting “Marketing Manager/Head of Marketing”
- Worktribe (SaaS in Higher Education sector) – Head of Marketing over a four year period leading on all aspects of marketing including strategy, re-branding, website design, product materials and case studies, digital and PPC, third-party relationships, management of sector events, exhibitions and development of an annual software user conference.
- JT Vertrieb – Development of bilingual website including content.
- Cohesive Communications – Website launch, marketing strategy and implementation for a tech PR agency.
- Digital 2015 & Digital Tuesday (via Cohesive Communications) – Management of digital marketing activities for a large tech conference and monthly events in South Wales, including the development of an event app and website, plus targeted email marketing.
- Maintel (via Cohesive Communications) – Marketing automation set up, managing the integration of CRM and marketing automation tool including training of sales and marketing staff. Ongoing integrated email and content campaign design.
- Mind Cymru – Development of resources, manual and marketing materials for national mental health project.
- Mind Cymru – Brand campaign concept and planning, selection and briefing of video agency.
- Mind Cymru – Case study collection and impact reports for national WG-funded mental health projects, copywriting and layout of printed and web marketing collateral, communications plan.
- Angel School of Dance – Website design, copywriting and build, social media set up, marketing integration. Design of printed collateral including calendar, flyers, posters etc.
- Chase Hampers – Seasonal campaign for local food business.
“Lucy’s marketing knowledge and expertise has allowed us to increase our customer base, promote ourselves in a more professional way, which in turn has increased our profitability.
Her ability to take what we (thought) we needed and turn it into exactly what we needed proved to be invaluable. Lucy is a very patient and positive person. Whenever she feels we are not on the right path she is able to steer us back with helpful suggestions.
With an extremely creative approach to her work, Lucy can turn her ideas into great imagery and engaging content. She has an eye for detail and can quickly identify problems and present solutions.
Lucy is always up for a challenge and she does what every client needs, reducing stress levels and replacing with confidence and positivity adding value to our team.”
Head of Marketing | Worktribe (2018-2022)
In this consulting role as Head of Marketing I led on all aspects of marketing and communications for a SaaS organisation in the higher education sector, from branding, messaging and website development to targeted campaigns and events. During this period, the organisation saw significant growth. More information and case study coming soon.
Engagement Manager | National campaign (July - Dec 2016)
- Building and managing relationships with organisations across Wales.
- Recruiting organisations to join the campaign and attend events.
- Promoting mental health and wellbeing in the workplace through email, digital and events.
- Revamping web content and user journeys for organisations.
- Representing the campaign at events and visits across Wales.
- Revamping the annual event for pledged organisations.
Senior Comms Officer | Large national charity (Mar-May 2016)
Working together with Mind teams in both Cardiff and London to increase Mind Cymru’s profile in Wales:
- Developing and implementing targeted communications to engage directly with the general public, politicians and other key stakeholders.
- Providing communications advice and support to senior management.
- Ensuring the success of Mind Cymru’s mental health awareness campaign during the 2016 Assembly Elections.
Communications Officer | Education sector (Nov 2013 - Dec 2014)
- Planning and managing campaigns to support strategic goals.
- Managing a number of digital content projects including new website launches and campaigns.
- Building and maintaining stakeholder relationships in order to gain support for campaigns.
- Re-launch of the School of Modern Languages and School of Politics websites – structure, copywriting and content management.
- Launch of Languages for All, a strategic level project.
- New MA course launch in the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies.
Content Editor | Retail industry (Mar 2011 - Nov 2013)
Responsible for all content and digital campaigns for a national multi-channel outdoor retailer, Cotswold Outdoor.
- Working closely with brands, companies and organisations in the outdoor industry across the UK.
- Online PR strategy including developing relationships with key stakeholders, media and influencers.
- Managing multichannel marketing campaigns including digital and social media.
- Overseeing a small team as well as freelance designers and copywriters.
- Seasonal multichannel marketing campaigns.
- Long term strategic content plan and social media strategy, development and management.
- Numerous microsites, landing pages, interactive digital campaigns.
- Development of tone of voice and brand guidelines.
- 2-year internationalisation strategy.
“Lucy has proved to be a highly intelligent and motivated person. She has very high personal standards and quickly established herself, gaining respect from work colleagues for the quality of her work. Through taking a methodical approach to her work, Lucy managed to work within time sensitive deadlines to ensure company campaigns were delivered on time. I would have no hesitation in recommending Lucy.”
Assistant Editor | B2B tech media (Mar 2009 - Jan 2011)
- Managing writers and freelancers and adhering to complex deadlines.
- Liaising with stakeholders, clients, printers and high-level industry experts on a regular basis.
- Attending, presenting and reporting international conferences, networking and contact building.
- Copywriting, online publishing, digital marketing, PR and event organisation
- Development and launch of new sustainable transportation publication.
- Framework Programme 7 European funded public engagement campaign on intelligent vehicles.
- Planning and promotion of global industry think-tanks.
“Initially Lucy’s role was a combination of magazine layout, news reporting and article writing, but over time her web skills proved a valuable asset to the company.
“Lucy was a very conscientious worker and in addition to her skills within the office she was also a valuable team member at events in the UK, Europe and the US. She was never less than fully motivated and brought a young and dynamic approach to the company. We were sorry to lose her.”
Marketing Assistant | Education/travel (2008)
Fresh out of university, I took on a marketing role in an international education/travel consultancy based in Stuttgart.
“Lucy is a really great person to work with. Her skills and her ability to understand complex work topics very quickly were an excellent basis to built up a successful work-relationship. She managed own projects, supported the workflow in the office and had fantastic fresh ideas for our marketing. If I will have the chance to work with her again, I certainly will.”
Examples of my work
...but that's enough from me.
"With an extremely creative approach to her work, Lucy can turn her ideas into great imagery and engaging content. She has an eye for detail and can quickly identify problems and present solutions. Lucy is always up for a challenge and she does what every client needs, reducing stress levels and replacing with confidence and positivity adding value to our team.”
"Lucy has proved to be a highly intelligent and motivated person. She has very high personal standards and quickly established herself, gaining respect from work colleagues for the quality of her work. Through taking a methodical approach to her work, Lucy managed to work within time sensitive deadlines to ensure company campaigns were delivered on time. I would have no hesitation in recommending Lucy.”
"Lucy is a really great person to work with. Her skills and her ability to understand complex work topics very quickly were an excellent basis to built up a successful work-relationship. She managed own projects, supported the workflow in the office and had fantastic fresh ideas for our marketing. If I will have the chance to work with her again, I certainly will.”
...unless you wanted to know...
I spent 6 months in a tent
In my free time you’ll find me in the mountains or by the sea or exploring new countries. The outdoors is where I feel at home. My longest camping trip was 6 months in the Australian outback. I’m also a qualified windsurfing instructor.
Ich spreche Deutsch
I'm an accountant
I'm one in 10,000
I ski (very badly)
Get in touch!
And even if it turns out I’m not the right person for your job, I might be able to recommend someone who is!
I have 13 years experience in communications and marketing with a focus on creative digital campaigns and content strategy. I've worked in both B2C and B2B environments, domestic and international. Based in Chepstow, South Wales.